Tuesday, January 25, 2011

mortality

My friend received news today that her brother in law died unexpectedly from a heart attack this morning in his sleep.  It makes me think about not knowing when or how we will all pass on.  God never promises us the next breath.  It puts into perspective that we often take things for granted.  My friend's five year old nephew is going to grow into a man with out his daddy there to guide him. That breaks my heart.

I am reminded of how I want to be there to watch my children grow into the ( hopefully) mature and invested grown ups that we want them to be.  I want to watch them graduate  from high school and college and to be there when they get married.  I want to be the Nana that holds and teaches her grand children all the fun little things that only a Nana can teach.

I hope that I live my life in a manner that says that I want to be there for all these things.

My mind wanders as I think about the loss that my friend's family is feeling right now. I pray that he knew the Lord and will be there greeting them when the time for all of us to go home comes.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your friend's loss.

    When I was 26, my mom went in for out patient knee surgery, she passed away the next day at age 51. Almost a year to the date, my dad who was 61 then, died from what some people call (and so do I) a broken heart. He could not and did not live with out her.

    I was mad at God. I didn't understand ya know cause He said " Honor your mother and father..." and my parents did JUST that w/ their parents. It just didn't make sense to me but then after 10 years(and YEP, it took me that long, and sometimes I still have flash backs) that we really don't know when our last day is and that God never promised we would live to see the grandkids or the great grandkids but we have to make the most of the moments we have right now.

    My kids nevr got to meet any of their grandparents, on either side but I tell them about them and show them pictures all the time.

    God, although we do not understand it sometimes, makes NO mistakes..I pray that your friend's family member is being greeted by God as we speak.... HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true, God makes NO mistakes. We just aren't always privy to why he makes the decisions that he makes but they aren't accidents.

    It breaks my heart your babies didn't get to know their Grandparents. I love that you show them pictures and tell them about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to your friend's family, Nikki.

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete